Scientists in Singapore have found the Wip1 Gene may be Responsible for Obesity, Heart Disease and Cancer

Posted by PITHOCRATES - July 8th, 2012

Week in Review

Businesses aren’t hiring in the U.S. because they have no idea what their labor will cost them under Obamacare.  They were hoping for a Supreme Court reprieve but their ruling went against them.  The Constitution.  And common sense.  They now look to the November elections as their last hope to remove this hiring obstacle.  But perhaps there is another way.  We can just stop being sick (see Singapore scientists discover control mechanism for obesity, cancer by Julia Ng posted 7/3/2012 on Channel News Asia).

A*STAR scientists in Singapore have made what is believed to be groundbreaking discovery of the mechanism that controls obesity, atherosclerosis and, potentially, cancer.

Scientists from the Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology (IMCB) and the Singapore Bioimaging Consortium (SBIC) said they have found a new signalling pathway that regulates both obesity and atherosclerosis.

The team showed, for the first time, that mice deficient in the Wip1 gene were resistant to weight gain and atherosclerosis via regulation of the Ataxia telangiectasia mutated gene (ATM) and its downstream signalling molecule mTor…

Obesity and atherosclerosis are accompanied by the accumulation of lipid droplets in fat cells and in foam cells respectively.

Foam cells can subsequently rupture, damaging blood vessels, and contributing to further progression of atherosclerosis.

The scientists discovered that Wip1 deficient mice, even when fed a high-fat diet, were resistant to obesity and atherosclerosis by preventing the accumulation of lipid droplets…

Together, these three pathological conditions — obesity, atherosclerosis and cancer — account for more than 70 per cent of mortality worldwide, making ATM-related pathways very attractive therapeutic targets.

Our friends in Singapore may have solved the Obamacare problem.  They may have found a way to prevent 70% of all illnesses.  Making a national health care system moot.  Imagine that.  Perhaps they and the pharmaceuticals can develop a pill therapy to remove the Wip1 gene from our bodies.  Allowing us to eat whatever we want to eat without any weight gain, heart disease or cancer.  Good for us.  Good for the over-burdened health care system.  But bad for the vegetable farmers that supply the salad industry.  Yes, salads can be yummy.  But so can a half-pound bacon cheeseburger.  And if both are just as good for you guess what people will be eating.

With such a pill there would be no reason NOT to repeal Obamacare.  Because with 70% of the stuff that kills us gone we’ll be able to afford the other 30%.  Cash out of pocket for the small stuff, perhaps via a medical savings account.  And a real insurance policy for the unexpected.  Like catching an infectious disease that requires hospitalization.  Health care problem solved.  And for far less that the trillion or so dollars Obamacare will cost us.

www.PITHOCRATES.com

Share

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments are closed.

Blog Home